SSASR is a charitable non-governmental organization registered on 25th September 2014, under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960. (Society Reg. No: CBL-S165-2014-15, Dt. 25 Sept 2014)
It is common knowledge that research of any type, especially scientific research is highly resource-intensive and involves great risks. Therefore, research undertaken by institutions or industry with a commercial outlook is driven by an expectation of high returns on the investment made into the research activity. Such a market model functions well where the final output of the research can be monetized by the sponsoring organization. As a result, areas of research which are not attractive commercially do not gain interest of these organizations. Nevertheless, such neglected areas of research are important in view of the immense benefits that accrue to the society from them, and especially to the economically weaker sections of the society. SSASR has been established to fill this void and support research in such areas of science leading to societal benefits.
To initiate, promote and carry out SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AS A SOCIAL SERVICE leading to societal benefits with special focus on those areas of science which contributes to the well-being of the humankind and the environment at large.
The main functions are:
- To review the general trends of research in science that benefit society and sponsor or assist projects and programmes of such research in science by individuals, start-up groups and upcoming institutions.
- To provide technical assistance or guidance for the formulation of research projects and programmes in science, and to co-ordinate research activities.
- To organise and support, institutional or other arrangements for training in scientific research methodologies of interdisciplinary research.
- To organize, sponsor and assist seminars, special courses, study circles, and conferences to promote research in science.
- To give grants for publication of papers, journals, periodicals and scholarly works devoted to research in science and to also undertake their publication.
- To institute and administer fellowships, scholarships and awards for research in science by students, teachers and others.
- To promote collaboration in research among researchers, educational or scientific research institutions in India and those from other countries.
- To enter into collaboration on mutually agreed terms, with other institutions, organizations and agencies for the promotion of research in science.
The Society’s endeavour is to mobilize resources from donors and patrons who have the conviction and passion for social cause and channelize the resources to deserving research projects. It has a mandate in its Memorandum of Association and Rules & Regulations to undertake these activities with a non-profit motive and to use its proceeds and resources for the benefit of all people irrespective of caste, creed, religion, etc.
In accordance with its objectives, SSASR has initiated research projects in “Ultra-weak Photon Emissions” (UPE) which have relevance and potential for healthcare related research.